According to the Cambridge dictionary the term #E-fulfilment is defined as “the arrangements that are necessary for businesses to sell their products or services on the internet.”
Now let’s translate this funny sentence into logistics language…
The word e‑fulfillment is a combination of two different words: “e-commerce” and “fulfillment.”
Simply said, e‑fulfillment is the processing an online order and its dispatch to a receiver or end customer. When we speak about an order and e‑fulfillment we call that the “Order fulfilment process”.
This process consists of the following steps:
- RECEIPT – product inventory is sent to an e‑fulfilment centre or warehouse
- WAREHOUSING – after an initial and maybe deeper quality control, such inventory is stored properly and ready to be sold and processed
- PICK and PACK – when an online order is received, its products are collected from the storage shelves, wrapped, and packed into an appropriate cardboard box or foil bag
- SHIPPING – The parcel is handed-over to a last mile carrier and dispatched to the end consumer
- RETURNS – An unwanted product is retuned from an end consumer to the e‑fulfilment centre, the item is inspected, repacked, and stocked again or if damaged, it is sent to repair, recycling or sent to a re-seller
Other e‑fulfilment services
Apart of the classical operations outlined before, there are many other services an e‑fulfillment company may offer. For example, kitting and item assembly, two or more products are put together in a set, place the sales item in a special box, tailor-made labelling, etc.
An important part of the cooperation with an e‑fulfilment centre is the IT integration. Today, the leading e‑fulfilment providers do not work with Excel or CSV files anymore and offer an easy and full integration into their systems. This integration is done within a few hours or few days to the most popular e‑commerce platforms like Shopify, Magento, WooCommerce and marketplaces such as Amazon, eBay, Etsy, etc.
E-fulfilment definitely is a service which every online seller needs to consider if he/she wants to be successful and competitive. Outsourcing your logistics to an e‑fulfilment specialist can be a great help to those, who just want to sell online without hassle and focus purely on online sales and marketing.
Sounds good, huh? We at Internel have helped many e‑businesses to conquer Europe and boost their sales, because we know how to fulfil your orders perfectly 😊
Contact us on… www.internel.eu/Contact